Biggest Little Dance Battle
Signup: Open between October 1st - October 31st
Battle Event: Main Stage, Wednesday November 1st, 5PM (Dancers and Staff show up at 4PM)
To sign up for Dance Battle, please click the button below and fill out the form.
What is it?
An all-styles dance battle competition that consists of teams & individuals dancing off against each other in successive knockout rounds. The winners of each round will advance to the next round until only one victor remains!
Performance is rated by a panel of judges.
This year, there are two divisions: 1v1 Fursuit Division & 1v1 Open Division.
- Each individual is matched against a random opponent ahead of time, creating a single elimination tournament bracket.
- Dancers will be called to the floor to face off against each other, and a randomly selected song will be played for a dancer from each side to take a turn dancing to that song.
- Dancers decide between themselves who goes first. If you do not decide quickly, the MC will pick for you!
- The first dancer will get between 30-45 seconds from the moment they step out and begin to give it their best! After that, there will be a countdown from 5, signaling the current dancer to finish their performance and return to their side of the dance floor. Then their opponent will begin and they will get an equal amount of time to dance and a countdown to finish.
- After one dancer from each side has danced to the track, the round is over and a different randomly selected song will be played. Each dancer will take turns dancing to that song just as before.
- After these 2 rounds, judges vote for the dancer or team who will move on to the next round.
Dance Battle Rules
- No interrupting another dancer’s performance.
- Touching your opponent in any way is grounds for disqualification. This includes accidentally touching them so be careful!
- Nothing may be thrown at any person, be it your opponent, the judges, the audience, the MC or otherwise. If an item ends up on the ground during your performance, pick it up by the end of your round.
- Don’t throw anything on the dance floor while it is not your turn, including while spectating.
- Prop items are limited to clothing articles only such as bandanas, hats, etc.
- Cursing, vulgar language, sexual or excessively rude behavior is not allowed.
- Because this is a battle, “burns” are allowed but they should be kept appropriate.
- Contestants must dance to the song that is played; choosing or declining a song is not allowed.
- If it’s not your turn, you may not step onto the dance floor while a round is in progress.
- Arrive prepared and on time. If you miss roll-call, you will be replaced without exception. Don’t forget fursuit feet, your badge, etc. or you may be replaced with someone who is ready to go!
Fursuit Division: Similar to what would be expected for the fursuit dance competition. Your costume must consist of a head/mask which fully encompasses the head, handpaws, and feet paws. “Happy Feet” oversize “shoes” are allowed in lieu of feet paws.
No skin shall be deliberately shown, including if the dancer is performing in a partial suit.
Open Division: Wear anything you like, as long as your attire is allowed by convention policy. In this division, you may be out of suit (nonsuit), in fursuit, or anything in-between! Please don’t wear clothing with explicitly vulgar/profane writing or imagery. You will be dancing, so dress to move! Dance clothes, masks, kigus, just a fursuit head etc. are permitted!
All dancers: Loose accessories which might be lost during your performance, such as badges, rings, necklaces and lanyards should be left at your seat while it’s your turn.
- You must abide by all convention policies and have your own, active convention membership (badge) on the day of the event.
- Contestants must be 13 years or older. Contestants under 16 must have parental permission and a parent in attendance for the event. Age policies for the convention must be adhered to.
- Parental Disclaimer: The organizers of this event aim for a “PG-13” rating and want you to know that this is a dance battle, which means it is potentially more competitive by nature. However, we forbid any explicit/profane behavior or clothing and encourage good sportsmanship as well as a supportive environment for the participants.
- Participation in this event is first come first served! You must sign up online and be on our list to participate.
- Once the brackets are filled, all those remaining will be placed on the waitlist.
- Depending on the number of online signups, on-site sign-ups may be made available at the discretion of the organizers.
- The signup list will be posted prior to the con and you may ask the organizers where you are on the list at any time.
Dancers with confirmed slots: If you signed up, we expect you to be there! If you need to drop out, you must communicate this to the organizers as soon as possible. This helps us prepare for the event and allows us to move others up from the waitlist.
If you were placed on the waitlist: Arrive at dance call-time which is 1 hour prior to the event. Roll-call will be taken roughly 30 minutes before doors open and anyone not present will be replaced with those on the waitlist at that time. Additionally, waitlist dancers may be placed in the open division if there is room and they wish to dance.
This is a dance battle, but it is meant to be fun and spirited, so cheer on your fellow dancers and show good sportsmanship! See you there!
Disclaimer: Dancing is a physical activity that comes with inherent risks. By signing up you agree to take on these risks and know that we cannot be responsible for any injuries, physical or otherwise, that may occur at the event. We strive to make this a safe, fun environment and encourage you to do the same by being safety-minded, hydrating, being well-rested, and stretching beforehand.
I’m in fursuit division, do I have to have feet paws? Is there any substitute?
Yes you must have feet paws. The only acceptable substitute are “Happy Feet” plush slippers. If you do not have either, we highly suggest you ask your fellow dancers to borrow a pair! Other footwear (horse hooves, high heels, etc) must be approved before the event. Contact us!
I arrived after roll call and I was replaced, can I get back on the active list?
No. If you miss roll call and show up later, you will be put on the bottom of the waitlist.
I was there for roll call but I had to leave the room and come back. Is that okay?
In most cases, no. You should arrive prepared or send someone to go get forgotten items for you. If you need to use the restroom, you must tell one of the event staff and ensure you’re back before doors open.
I decided to cancel my signup before but I’ve changed my mind and want to sign up again, can I?
Yes, but you lose your place on the list and move to the end of the line so you might end up on the waitlist.
I’m on the waitlist, should I show up at the same time as the other dancers?
Yes! You may be put on the active dancers list depending on no-shows! You may also be placed in the open division depending on slots available.
If you have any questions, please contact the event coordinator at email@example.com.